As we stood there staring out over thousands of acres of rolling hills at Tahoe Reno Industrial Center (TRI), we could hardly imagine what it will look like five years from now. Just 9 miles from Reno/Sparks on Interstate 80, sits one of the most impressive Industrial Parks ever seen and it is stirring up some major change for Northern Nevada. Recent projections include 51,060 new jobs over the next five years – and that is just from companies currently on the books. Companies like Tesla, Switch, Wal-Mart, PetSmart, 1-800-Flowers, IBM, Diapers.com, Ebay, Hardie Building Products, and about 120 additional businesses have already hung their hats here. What draws these great companies to this impressive 107,000-acre park (see map here) that encompasses a developable 30,000 acre industrial complex? Below are just a few of the reasons…
1.) Storey County is a dream to work with. Your facility can be on a “fast track” schedule because the sites are pre-approved for industrial land use and located in a pro industrial development county.
- Record setting turnaround for permits: Record of Survey (5 days) Grading Permits (5 days), and Building Permits (30 days).
- Most industries have already been pre-approved, which means they can go straight to architectural review and building permits.
- No state or local government development fees or exactions.
- No corporate, personal, inventory or unitary tax; no impact fee.
- Lowest property taxes in the region
2.) The infrastructure is in place already.
- Plenty of water with 11 wells 800-1,200 feet below
- A unified framework of individual water/sewer systems and backbone facilities
- State-of-the-art fiber optics
- On-site power plant with 900 mgs of power
- All utilities available in right-of-way
- Domestic and high-pressure gas available
- 9 miles of railways in the park
3.) The surrounding communities are ready to support the growth.
- Tier 1 University (UNR) & Medical School
- Community College & three Business Colleges
- Liberal right-to-work laws
- Comparably low cost of living
Currently, there is approximately 11 million square feet of industrial space already in use, but that number with quickly multiply when Tesla and Switch complete their buildings. Tesla has secured over 3,000 acres in the park for maximum security with the ability to build a 30 million square foot building. While it can be very tough to get past the security gates to the Tesla section, it is well worth it to tour the rest of TRI park. The Walmart Distribution Center holds 4 underground stories of deep freeze and the 1 million sq. ft. at PetSmart includes 50,000 sq. ft. of fish tanks for imported fish. Switch has about 1,000 acres and plans to build an 8 million sq. ft. facility to hold the data for some of the 1000 top companies in the world. These are just some of the examples of what makes up this impressive industrial park. More updates on TRI and how the Reno/Sparks area is stepping up to meet the growth to follow soon.